Are you tired of taking a standard sized carry on bag with you on a crowded flight only to find that the overhead bins are full, forcing you to check your bag in the hold? Or maybe you just want to be able to access your things easily mid-flight? Well, there’s a new wheeled bag that’s guaranteed to fit under your seat and it’s from a trusted brand. It’s the Samsonite Travel Accessories Wheeled Underseater.
While Samsonite does have other rolling tote bags, like the L.I.F.T. bag or Maxlite 2 tote, that can fit under planes seats in large planes, some people have said that they don’t fit in the small regional planes or under some aisle seats, particularly on budget European or Asian flights. This means that they are at risk of having to check it into the hold if the overhead bin space is not enough.
Well, Samsonite has finally addressed the fact that some customers are adamant about wanting to keep their carry on bag with them without sacrificing too much packing space. Many travelers also like putting their carry on under their seats because they can access it easily during the flight. The brand’s new wheeled underseat bag is especially designed to fit under aircraft seats. Travelers also have a choice between two sizes. A larger one that has more packing space and fits under large aircraft seats, and a smaller one for the tightest of underseat spaces. In addition to reviewing this new offering from Samsonite, I have also selected and reviewed the most popular wheeled underseaters currently available.
There’s one thing to note about the difference in sizes between the large and small underseater. The width and depth are the same on both bags and they differ only in height. Therefore, both bags can fit under the seat in small planes, but the larger one will jut out a bit under your legs. If you’re comfortable with that and prefer getting that precious extra packing space, then the larger bag may be fine for you. Let’s take a closer look at both these bags.
Features of the Samsonite Travel Accessories Wheeled Underseater
- The small bag measures 13″ x 13″ x 7.5″ and weighs 6 lbs and 9 oz, while the large bag (shown right) measures 16″ x 13″ x 7.5″ and weighs 7 lbs and 11 oz.
- This bag is made of a blend of 900 Denier polyester and nylon, making it both lightweight and durable.
- The smaller bag is currently available in black and purple, while the larger one is only available in black for now.
- The bag rolls on two polyurethane inline skate wheels on ball bearings for smooth movement and has two front feet to prevent it from tipping over when stationary.
- The telescopic handle locks in both the retracted and extended states and retracts into the bag via its own pocket.
- There are two top handles that velcro together when the bag is closed to form a comfortable handle grip when if you want to lift and carry it.
- There is a sleeve on the back of the bag for you to slide over the telescopic handle of a larger wheeled bag to make it easy to wheel together.
- The main interior compartment features a zippered Wetpak compartment so you can separate soiled or damp clothes.
- The back interior features a wall of horizontal zippered pockets to organize small items.
- The bag opens via a full U-shaped zippered front flap that features a detachable 3-1-1 trifold pouch for your toiletries.
- There are two tall zippered side pockets on the outside that can hold things like a water bottle or travel umbrella.
- There is a front zippered organizer compartment that can hold a tablet, travel documents and gadget accessories or cables.
- They are both compact but provide lots of packing space.
- Lots of organizational compartments.
- Eliminates the need for buying separate pouches for toiletries and gadget accessories.
- Durable construction and quality hardware.
- Not for those looking for just 1 or 2 simple packing compartments.
- Very tall people may find the retracting handle a bit short.
- While you can fit a laptop in this bag, there is no dedicated compartment for it. If you’d like one from Samsonite with a padded laptop compartment, try the Hyperspace XLT or the Lift2 boarding bag. They are both a bit larger than the large underseater and will only fit under larger airplane seats.
Want more details on the small or large Samsonite Wheeled Underseater? You can get them here!