The Samsonite Hyperspace XLT Spinner Boarding Bag is essentially a small rolling upright that is designed to securely hold a small laptop along with your other belongings for a short business trip. Larger than a rolling laptop briefcase, but smaller than the maximum allowable carry on sized upright, it is ideal for frequent business trips.
In early 2012, Samsonite released the Hyperspace spinner luggage collection. In addition to the front spinner wheels, the bags had large dual wheels in the rear that made it easier to pull the bag instead of rolling it alongside you if needed. The strong aluminium telescopic handle had a steel finish. On the boarding bag there were two zippered pockets on the front, one smaller one above the other larger one.
So what has changed in the new Hyperspace XLT collection? Well, all the four dual wheels are spinners, turning 360 degrees. The dual rod telescopic handle is now the color of the fabric. The front pockets are both large and one is layered on top of the other. There are other minor changes, but the overall look and design remains much the same.
So, let’s take a look at the features, positives and negatives of this bag in more detail.
- This Hyperspace XLT Boarding bag on wheels measures 17″ x 14″ x 7.5″ and is 38.5 linear inches all around. It weighs 7.8 lbs.
- It will fit under most airline seats.
- The material is a rugged nylon and polyester blend with the SamGuard treatment to protect against stains from dirt, oil and water.
- The four dual wheels are multidirectional spinners that let you turn the bag 360 degrees and effortlessly roll it along in the upright position.
- An ergonomically designed dual rod telescopic handle is made of durable aluminium and finished in the exact color of the fabric of the bag. It locks into position in both the extended and retracted positions. The grip of the handle is comfortable to use.
- If you want to carry the bag like a traditional briefcase, there’s a top carry handle for that.
- The laptop compartment in the main compartment is padded and shock-absorbing and can hold a laptop of up to 15.6 inches.
- The main compartment is large and opens from the top. It is held in a semi-open position via two side hinges. This helps you get access to its contents while the bag is upright. When you want to pack or unpack, you can unhook the hinges to allow the bag to open completely.
- There is a detachable organizer and a few pockets on the inside to keep small items organized.
- The front exterior of the bag has two large zippered pockets, one on top of each other. The inner one has plenty of drop and zippered pockets for cards, pens, a phone, tickets and other small items.
- Good spinner wheels for easy rolling.
- Durable material and construction.
- Plenty of room in the main compartment for files or clothes and other essentials for up to 3 days.
- Lots of organizational pockets.
- Will be allowed as carry-on on any airplane.
- Small enough to fit under most airline seats.
- Very stylish and sleek looking.
- Easy to access contents of the bag even in tight spaces.
- Won’t fit larger laptops.
- The rear roller wheels of the old Hyperspace have been replaced by spinner wheels, so you may not be able to roll this bag easily over carpet or rough terrain. If you’d like a two wheeled boarding bag that is slightly cheaper and lighter but also from Samsonite, the Samsonite Liftwo boarding bag is a good alternative.
The older Samsonite Hyperspace boarding bag was very popular but is being retired soon. Since the changes in the new bag are not major, it looks like Samsonite Hyperspace XLT Spinner Boarding bag will be just as well received. In addition to being a good rolling upright bag, this could also work well as an overnight bag.
You can currently get this Hyperspace XLT spinner from Amazon.
If you’d like a more feminine and lighter option for a rolling laptop bag, check out the Baggallini Skyline rolling briefcase.