The eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender Convertible is a versatile backpack/duffel/suitcase-style carry on that is designed for extended multiple destinations travel.
Using a backpack instead of a duffel or rolling upright carry on for a vacation is a smart choice if you’re going to be on the move a lot. If your travels take you to quite a few destinations in countries that don’t always have smooth pavements and wheel friendly ramps, you’re better off with a backpack.
The one thing that a backpack is NOT the greatest for is its organizational and packing capabilities. Unlike with an upright, your clothes can get very crumpled because of its lack of structure. You also rarely have inner pockets to separate things.
This is where a convertible bag comes in. Combining the best features of a backpack, duffel and an upright suitcase, you may find that you don’t have to settle for one or the other.
The original eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender was quite a hit and now it looks like the new and improved version should be the same. It has the structure of a carry on upright bag, but flexible and light enough to be comfortable to carry over your shoulders using the removable padded backpack straps. The bag opens like a suitcase and the interior compartments are designed like it as well. Compression straps increases carrying comfort too. When you just need to quickly pick it up and go, you can do so with the carry handles, making it more of a duffel bag. This new version comes in an updated fabric and richer colors and is lighter than the older one.
The eTech Weekender is very similar to the TLS Mother Lode Weekender convertible from eBags, except that there are additional organizational pockets on the Mother Lode, a special padded laptop compartment, and a divider in the main compartment for added organization. It is also expandable if you’re not going to take it as a carry on for plane trips.
The backpack straps on the eTech have more padding on them and the bag is a bit lighter than the Mother Lode Weekender.
So, how do you figure out which of these eBags convertibles is a better one for you? And is one better than the other for a woman? Read on to look at all the features of the eTech 2.0 before deciding.
- The eTech 2.0 measures 22″ x 14″ x 9″ and weighs 2 lbs 12 oz. Extremely lightweight.
- The colors available are olive, indigo, plum and onyx black.
- The material is 100% nylon, and the interior is fully lined in orange to make finding things easier.
- The backpack straps are airmesh contoured for extra carrying comfort
- There’s an elastic shock-loaded adjustable and removable sternum strap and a waist strap.
- The back panel is padded to improve your backpacking experience.
- There are four compression straps on the outside to make the bag more compact and bring it closer to the body, which makes carrying easier.
- When you want to carry the bag as a duffle, all the straps hide away in their own panel at the back, and the low profile top and side carrying handles are neoprene wrapped for a comfortable grip.
- The zippers are YKK RC coil with photo-reflective cords to increase nighttime visibility.
- The zipper on the main compartment is protected by a storm flap to lessen the chances of getting the contents of your bag getting wet.
- There is a large outer zippered pocket with organizational pockets to keep things like a phone, ticket, magazine or anything else that you need easy access to. The front panel of this pocket features another smaller zippered pocket.
- On the inside of the suitcase-style lid is a zippered laminated mesh panel that is ideal for travel documents or anything that you need to be visible.
- There are two compression straps on the inside to keep your clothes in place. These straps can be cinched at high or low positions if you prefer to create two layers of packing.
- The bag collapses flat when empty.
- Cheaper than other similar convertible backpacks.
- Has more of a business travel look than the sporty look.
- Very lightweight and good for international travel where baggage weight limits are very strict.
- Easy to carry as a backpack even for petite women.
- Simple but good organization pockets, which means it holds a lot of stuff.
- Very good quality and durability.
- No shoulder strap.
- No laptop compartment, but a small laptop protected in its own sleeve will fit into the front pocket.
- Only one large internal zippered pocket and no small ones.
So, is the eTech bag a better option for you, or is it the Mother Lode? If you don’t need the extra packing features, the eTech may just be ideal for you for one reason – it is a little easier to carry than the Mother Lode because it is lighter and is designed just a little bit better for backpacking comfort. If you prefer to carry as light of a load as possible but still be able to pack everything you need, this is a major plus.
This eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender Convertible is also of exceptional value, as most other convertible carry ons are priced a lot higher.
You can check for customer reviews and the current price of the eTech 2.0 Weekender on Amazon here.