Here’s a hiking and travel backpack that seems pretty exciting and comes in a version specially designed for women. The Eagle Creek Deviate Travel Pack comes in a large 85 litre version and a 60 litre carry on version and is designed for multifunctional use. This pack system is designed to be used as an all-in-one pack, as it has a main backpack, a top hood pack and a detachable day pack. It has a protective electronics compartment and a hydration system compartment, and there’s a protective duffel cover that encloses the whole system for rain protection and for check in, so you’re good to go whether it’s to jump on an airplane or take a long hike in the wilderness.
Here’s a link to all the Deviate Travel Packs on Amazon. Make sure that you choose the right gender-specific model for your needs, indicated by the “W” at the end of the model name.
What makes the Eagle Creek Deviate Travel Pack 60L W a compelling choice is its ability to go from a good carry on option for the modern day traveler, to a good hiking backpack or daypack if you separate the two pieces. Its anti-theft features are very useful too. Of course, there are other travel backpacks that have been tried and tested and we have reviewed some here. We also have some other good anti-theft backpacks for you to consider.
Let’s take a look at its features in closer detail and remember – it comes in two sizes and each size comes in a version made for a woman’s frame, which is what we’ll focus on.
Features of the Eagle Creek Deviate Travel Pack 60L W and 85L W
• You get three choices of color – A graphite grey, a brilliant blue and a flame orange.
• The 60L pack weighs 3 lbs 8 ozs and measures 12 x 28 x 7.25 inches with the daypack attached. Its height without the hood compartment is 22 inches. The main pack with hood is 45 liters in capacity and the day pack’s capacity is 15 liters.
• The 85L pack gives you 70 liters for the main compartment and 15 liters for the daypack. The total weight is 4 lbs 5 ozs and it measures 13.5 x 31.5 x 10 inches overall with a 25” height without the hood compartment attached.
• The entire pack system features three detachable bags. There’s a main backpack that is a carry on bag on its own, a daypack with RFID blocking for city sightseeing or a light hiking, and a documents and valuables bag that attaches to the top of the main pack.
• The construction is light and durable, with the fabric in nylon and a flexible molded polycarbonate frame.
• The back panel is contoured to the women’s frame and covered in moisture-wicking Air mesh for proper air flow. The hip belt and shoulder straps are fitted especially for women and the sternum straps has a whistle attached for personal safety. The entire suspension is adjustable only on the 85L bag for maximum comfort.
• The pack features external compression straps on the bottom and sides and multiple gear attachment points. There are mesh pockets on the sides for water bottles.
• The main compartment of the travel pack opens via a large U-zip panel on the front and provides you with 45 liters of capacity. There’s a hydration compartment here to fit a 3L bladder with its hose secured by a loop in a shoulder strap. The bottom has an extra compartment in the 85L bag for additional organization, but it can be zipped away if you want just one big space for packing.
• The main pack is designed to easily fit the Eagle Creek Pack-It System of travel cubes to maximize packing space and keep your belongings neat and organized.
• There’s a bottom compartment where a protective cover bag designed like a duffel is stowed. The pack can be completely protected in it when it rains or when you need to protect the suspension system, like when it is checked in. When not in use, it folds into a small package to be stowed back in.
• A top hood compartment features a hidden zipper that can be locked. This compartment is excellent for holding travel documents as well as a phone. When attached to the main pack, it can be centrally locked to it to avoid theft. If you have to carry on your pack, it can be detached and stowed away.
• The day pack attaches via color-coded webbing loops and buckles and it has its own padded and Air-mesh shoulder straps. Inside the lockable zippered main compartment is an RFID pocket for your passport and cards and a padded and fleece lined electronics pocket, so your valuables are safe while wandering around a busy city. There is also a quick access vertical zippered front pocket outside. There’s a bottom cinching compression system to control the contents inside.
• It is a versatile pack and can be used for any kind of trip.
• It is very lightweight and easy to carry despite having a large packing capacity.
• Its anti-theft features makes it excellent for traveling.
• The large front opening makes things easy to access.
• Its provision for gear attachment and a hydration bladder makes it great for hiking.
• Quite a few straps, loops and buckles to use, so it can take a while to get used to using them.
• The duffel cover only had short duffel handles and no shoulder strap, so the pack cannot be carried for too long this way. If the daypack is attached to the travel pack and both are stuffed to the brim, it is tough to get the duffel cover on and fully zipped up.
• The suspension system does not stow away in into its own compartment. Instead, you have to use the duffel cover to protect it.
Since this pack has lockable zippers, you can use a TSA-approved lock to keep things secure. You may also find the Eagle Creek Pack-It bags useful for organization, as the pack is designed to fit these perfectly. You can get all of these along with the pack for a small savings when you buy them on Amazon as shown below.