If you’re a frequent traveler or just the kind that likes to be organized, you probably want to keep all your travel possessions separated and neat throughout your trip. Most frequent travelers also hate taking too many pieces of luggage with them even for a long trip. Both problems can be solved by the Flight 001 Spacepak bags, but are they worth the price?
The first problem could easily be solved by travel packing cubes. They are cheap and you can usually get them in sets of three – either all in the same size or in varying sizes. Some brands even offer them in different colors. The problem with these is if you accumulate laundry, you’ll end up with at least half of your cubes going back empty and your laundry occupying other bags. Packing cubes don’t compress or fold into small pouches so they take up space on the return trip.
The second issue can be solved with regular compression bags that are usually clear and work either by a suction pump or by squeezing out air manually. These definitely reduce the volume occupied by your clothes but they rarely last for very long and are not the easiest to handle each time you pack and unpack because of the side opening and unstructured form.
Spacepak bags are a combination of these two well known packing organizers with the best of both worlds. They have air vents on the sides that help you compress the air out when you zip them shut, so you can pack quite a few clothing items in each bag. They are easy to pack – just fold and place inside, one on top of each other. It’s best to buy 3 or 4 different ones so that you can separate types of clothing. When you’re done, you’ll find that you’ve taken up less space in your luggage than if you’d packed directly into the your carry on or suitcase.
For a look at all the accessories in the collection, Amazon has each Spacepak piece to buy separately or as a 3 piece set.
The picture shown above is the multi-colored Spacepak Travel Bag Set that comes with 3 pieces – a clothes pack, a shoe bag and a mini-toiletries bag.
Let’s take a look at a few of the best pieces in the collection.
Table of Contents
Flight 001 Spacepak reviews of all the best pieces
- This is the most innovative bag of the bunch as it is designed to hold both clean and dirty clothes without wasting any space. The Spacepack Clothes bag has two packing spaces to keep them separate and the dividing wall is flexible to allow for the quantity on each side to change.
- The inside has packing instructions printed to help you get best use out of it.
- The sides include two metal mesh eyelets that aid in compressing the bag while packing. You can pack up to two weeks worth of tops, pants and skirts in it.
- Smooth YKK zippers with metal zipper pulls make it easy to zip shut.
- You can pack this bag inside your checked or carry on bag or carry it separately as it has its own webbed handle.
- The material used is a durable nylon and it is available in grey or blue.
- Dimensions: 16″ x 11.25″ x 4.25″ and weighs 1 lb.
- It can hold a lot and keeps everything organized. Allows you to carry smaller and less bulky travel gear.
- Your clothes will have fewer wrinkles than with a compression bag because of the way the compression works by pressing only downwards.
- Can easily get heavy if you stuff a lot inside. If you’re flying, make sure you weigh the bag before travel!
- Men can get a smaller version of the Clothes pack for their underwear but the Lingerie pack is more suited or women’s lingerie. Instead of the top flap opening that completely reveals the bag’s contents, the lingerie bag has a slimmer pouch-like shape with a length-wise YKK zipper on the top and bottom to keep your things more private.
- You can separate your clean and dirty lingerie by using one side for each as there is a divider inside. The inside has packing instructions to help you.
- A removable mesh laundry bag is included so you can wash your delicate items safely while you’re on the road.
- You can pack this bag inside your checked or carry on bag and hang it up in your hotel closet using the webbing handle. When it’s empty you can pack it up into its own zippered pouch that comes with it. When you’re not using the pouch, it can turn into a bag for accessories or other smaller items.
- This bag can hold 2-4 bras depending on how much padding each has, and up to 10 panties.
- The material used is nylon and it is available in purple.
- Dimensions: 15.75″ x 10.25″ x .25″ and weighs 10 oz.
- Your lingerie is not in full view if you need to open your luggage for inspection or to access other items.
- Lies flat in your luggage so it takes up very little room.
- Holds a bit less that the yellow uni-sex underwear bag. However, it takes up less space in your luggage.
- The Shoe Bag is the simplest of all the Spacepak bags but it’s one of the most useful simply because it’s never a good idea to pack your shoes straight into your luggage. Even clean shoes are dirty so it’s best to separate them from your clothes. Shoes are also odd shaped so it’s not easy to pack without them taking up too much space.
- You can fit 1 or 2 pairs of shoes depending on the style.
- The side metal grommets work only one way to help remove excess air from the bag when closing it via the zip around top closure. This makes the bag less bulky than ordinary packing cube shoe bags and they also allow your shoes to breathe.
- Comes with its own zippered pouch to pack it away or it can be used as a separate bag.
- It has a webbed handle to let you carry it separately or hang it up in a closet.
- The material used is nylon and it is available in grey or green.
- Dimensions: 13.75″ x 6″ x 5.5″ and weighs 6 oz.
- The inside has separate compartments with zippered closures, one clear plastic and two mesh, to keep everything well organized. The larger mesh pocket is divided for even more organization.
- These compartments are tri-folded and compress down when zipped shut.
- There is one zippered outer pocket on the back too.
- A hanger style hook on the top when it’s open lets you hang the bag up on a hook in the bathroom or closet. This avoids having to set it down on a dirty or wet countertop. A webbing handle on one side lets you carry it separately when it’s zippered closed.
- It comes with its own packing pouch.
- The material used is a durable nylon and it is available in orange or grey.
- Dimensions: 11″ x 7″ x 4″ when closed, and 11″ x 7″ x 28″ when open and hung up. It weighs 11 oz.
- It can hold a lot, even full-sized toiletries.
- Takes up very little room because it compresses out extra air when shut.
- Women who don’t travel with a lot of makeup and toiletries may find this one overkill. However, there is a mini-toiletry bag that’s smaller but with very little organization features.
A demo of how the Flight 001 Spacepak system can be packed and stowed in your carry on bag.
For a look at all the accessories in the collection, Check out Amazon for the best prices on individual Spacepak bags!