You’ve got your baby and everything you could possibly need in a baby bag. You get to the airport and need to change a dirty diaper, but where are the wipes and baby cream you’ve packed? You become frazzled; sensing this, your baby starts crying loudly and you can’t find what you need. The solution is a diaper backpack that makes worry-free travel with your baby a reality. So what is the best backpack diaper bag for travel and how do you know which one is right for you? Our product reviews and in-depth buyer’s guide will help you easily find the best travel diaper backpack for you and your baby’s items.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Makes a Good Diaper Backpack for Travel?
- 2 Best Backpack Diaper Bag for Toddler and Newborn
- 3 Best Unisex Diaper Backpack
- 4 Best Affordable Diaper Backpack – Under $40
- 5 FAQs
Skip Hop Forma Diaper Bag Backpack
Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack
Ruvalino Multifunction Travel Diaper Bag Backpack
What Makes a Good Diaper Backpack for Travel?
A good diaper backpack is one where you know you are organized and prepared as soon as you step out your front door. But what else do you need to keep in mind when choosing?
Comfort and Carry Options
A backpack should be comfortable to carry. That’s probably why you’ve chosen to get a backpack-style bag instead of a traditional travel diaper bag or tote. Ideally, it should be ergonomically designed with thickly padded shoulder straps and a mesh back so that sweat doesn’t collect on your shirt and the bag. You also want something that sits comfortably on your shoulders so you don’t get tired and sore from carrying the backpack before it is 10 a.m. After all, you still have a long day of walking or traveling ahead of you.
Many backpacks come with a range of carrying options. They can be carried like a traditional backpack on your back, or you can simply hold or carry them via the top handle. Some other options enable you to carry it like a handbag or crossbody bag. Do you like to travel with your baby in a baby carrier? In that case, you may want to look at traditional travel diaper bags that you can wear over your shoulder.
Additionally, many backpacks also come with D-rings so you can clip on stroller straps or they have built-in stroller straps, ensuring your back gets a rest while you push your baby in their stroller.
Material and Durability
The type of material the backpack is made from is important. Do you need something that is water, tear, and deform-resistant? The answer is most likely a definite yes. You also want a bag you can easily wipe or wash to ensure it always looks clean.
A durable bag is a must. You don’t want a zipper to fail in the middle of your trip or a seam to come apart, rendering the bag useless. It’s better to invest a little more and have something for the long haul than to buy several cheap bags every year.
Size and Weight
The size and weight of the diaper backpack are important for a few reasons. One, the empty weight of the backpack should preferably be light, so when you are fully packed with all the items you need for your baby, you can still lift and carry it. Imagine if the empty backpack weighs 2.5 pounds, and you then still need to fully pack all of the necessities and extras to take care of your baby while on a trip?
Two, some backpacks may be too big if you are petite, and you may need something a bit smaller. And three, if you plan to air travel, you need to consider the weight restrictions for any carry-on luggage imposed by airlines. Additionally, you don’t want your baby’s bag to take up most or all of your luggage weight allowance.
Four, the size of the bag also depends on who you are packing for and for how long. If it is only for one baby for a day or two you need a smaller backpack than if you have twins, or a baby and a toddler. Also consider whether you need to take a tablet or laptop, as a backpack with a padded laptop compartment is handy if you can’t take another separate laptop backpack for travel.
Number and Layout of Pockets and Compartments
A backpack that has more pockets means you can easily keep all of your baby’s care and essential items organized. And with organization comes not having to look through the bag, trying to find something you urgently need.
The layout of the pockets and compartments is essential too. Some backpacks have side pockets for tissues and/or wipes, and front ones for your baby’s bottles. This ensures that the items you’ll likely need the most, you’ll have the easiest access to.
Insulated pockets are a must for a diaper backpack when you travel with your baby. These insulation compartments ensure that your baby’s bottles, food, and even snacks are kept either cool or warm, depending on your needs. When traveling and not having access to a microwave or other means to heat a bottle, you can still comfortably feed your baby.
Backpacks with insulation also enable you to transport pumped breast milk and store it for when your baby needs it. Many backpacks also have space for your breast pump.
Some backpacks don’t just come with space, durability, and ergonomics in mind. No, they also have added accessories that make these particular backpack options luxurious.
Accessories you may find with a diaper backpack for travel include a portable changing pad or mat, insulated bottle pockets to keep your baby’s bottles and food warm, and a USB charging port so you can charge your phone while you are on the go.
A backpack with included stroller straps is also handy since you can attach the backpack to your stroller without taking up extra storage and give your shoulders a break.
You may also want a mom or dad pocket where you can safely store your sunglasses, phone, keys, and wallet. There are backpacks that have an anti-theft pocket for your valuables, and this would be safer than keeping your belongings in a front pocket. A keychain or extra pouches is a plus too.
Best Backpack Diaper Bag for Toddler and Newborn
Skip Hop Forma Diaper Bag Backpack
Skip Hop Forma Diaper Bag Backpack. Available in one size and two colors – grey and navy, its design makes it the perfect travel companion for both moms and dads.
This is the best lightweight diaper backpack and you can carry it on your shoulders or carry it via the handle. This bag with built-in stroller straps at the top of the padded shoulder straps makes it easy to get it on and off of the stroller.
With the variety of pockets, you can keep your baby’s care products organized. You get two insulated bottle pockets on the sides, a changing pad pocket for the included changing pad or for your tablet or laptop up to 15”, and extra-wide openings with two-way zippers for both the main and front compartments. You even get two storage cubes so that your little one’s clothes and snacks can be stored neatly.
- 2 insulated pockets for any size of baby bottles.
- Baby changing pad is included with the pocket being big enough to hold a 15″ laptop.
- Very spacious.
- Stylish quilted finish.
- Comfortable and lightweight to carry.
- Only hand washable.
Itzy Ritzy Diaper Bag Backpack
If you are environmentally conscious, then the Itzy Ritzy Diaper Bag Backpack is the one for you. Made from vegan leather, this backpack comes in six color options, ensuring you’ll look stylish no matter which one you choose. With a total of 17 pockets, you won’t have to worry about needing extra space or keeping your baby’s items organized.
Looking for a stylish diaper backpack that lets you organize everything your baby will need and provides easy access for things like your sunglasses and phone? Then this one is the best rated diaper bag backpack. Featuring lots of pockets and a changing pad that provides cushioning while it’s in the back pocket, it will make traveling with your baby a breeze!
The built-in handle allows you to carry the bag by hand or wear it as a backpack with comfortable and adjustable straps. It also comes with stroller clips for hanging it off the handlebar.
- Convenient with 10 internal and 7 external pockets, including 2 insulated bottle pockets and an easy-access pocket for your essentials.
- Comes with a changing pad that is easy to clean.
- Backpack remains upright with rubber feet at the bottom, ensuring it doesn’t topple over.
- Stylish and classy looking.
- It’s expensive compared to other products, but worth the price according to reviews.
- May be too big for short people to carry comfortably.
- May be too heavy if you fully pack the backpack.
Dagne Dover Indi Diaper Backpack
While small, this neoprene backpack ensures you have more than enough space. The Dagne Dover Indi has pockets and pouches. It has two key leashes.
It comes in two colors, dark moss and heather gray, and has an insulated bottle holder. The backpack holds all of your daily necessities, including all model electric and manual breast pumps, with easy-access zippers.
Lightweight neoprene ensures you can pack this backpack to the brim without the additional weight of a heavy bag. The key leashes ensure you can safely attach your keys on one and one of the mini pouches to the other when you need something to be easily found.
- Includes a mini air mesh changing mat, a washable zipper bag, and a scout pouch.
- Has a place for your e-reader or tablet.
- Easily wash the backpack since it’s made of neoprene.
- Comfortable to carry over your shoulder or attach it to your baby stroller.
- Ideal for one baby’s necessities though a bit small for twins or triplets.
- Some reviewers complain the bag comes with a smell when unboxed.
Vogshow Waterproof Diaper Backpack for Travel
With four colors to choose from (black, gray, blue, and pink) and made to be waterproof, the Vogshow Diaper Bag Travel Backpack can be worn as a backpack, handbag, or crossbody bag. It’s so multifunctional, you can even hang it on a stroller or shopping cart. It even has a laptop compartment for a 14″ device, so you don’t need to carry an extra bag for work essentials while traveling with your baby. There is lots of space for everything you need to take with you for your baby.
Elegant in appearance, you have various ways to wear this backpack – over your shoulders, across your body by the detachable single crossbody strap, by the top grab handle, or hang it by the stroller straps.
The main compartment features a unique way to close and open it. It has two magnetic snaps on the sides, a turning clasp in the middle, and finally a flap that goes over the top.
- Thickly padded shoulder straps ensure wear-fatigue is eliminated.
- 13 compartments, including 3 insulated bottle pockets and an anti-theft pocket.
- A keychain so you can easily access your car or house keys.
- Easy-to-clean waterproof material, ensuring your backpack always looks neat.
- Side pockets and wet/dry separation pocket are a bit small.
- Depending on the size bottles you use for your baby, the bottle pockets may be too small.
- While it comes with 2 D-rings, stroller clips need to be bought separately.
Hyblom Diaper Bag Backpack
For the fashion-conscious, this Hyblom diaper backpack is ideal. Made from nylon outer fabric and a polyester inner, it’s durable. Apart from a matching changing pad, you also get large and small compartments, helping you easily pack and organize all your baby care products.
With two insulated bottle pockets, a place to put a spoon or two, a phone pocket, and 12 more pockets, you will have more than enough space to keep things neat and tidy in this backpack. With comfort, style, organization, and durability in mind, you’ll travel with ease.
- Backpack is easy to clean.
- Shoulder straps are adjustable, making carrying the backpack comfortable.
- 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Comes with a security back pocket for your phone and a wipes pocket for easy wipe access.
- Some buyers complain that the stitching looks cheap.
- Shoulder straps may be too wide if you have a petite frame.
Best Unisex Diaper Backpack
Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack
The manufacturers are so sure about the high quality of their product that the Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack gives you a lifetime warranty. All of your baby’s travel essentials will fit in the large capacity backpack with its 14 pockets and key chain attachment.
This is one of the best diaper bags for long travel, as it has reinforced stitching and is made from water-resistant polyester fabric. A back zipper that fully opens ensures you have easy access to everything you packed.
In black or gray, the best unisex backpack on our list ensures your hands are free to take care of your baby while you can rest assured that everything packed has a place and stays organized. The ergonomic design also ensures you don’t suffer from wear-fatigue, helping you feel great on travel days.
- 14 pockets, including an insulated bottle pocket and quick-access wipes pocket.
- Ergonomic with back and shoulder straps that are padded and vented to ensure air flow.
- Easy-access front pocket with magnetic snap to store things that you need frequently.
- Changing pad and stroller straps are included.
- Some complaints that the top inner lining snags on the zip.
- Doesn’t have free-standing capacity and requires that you prop it against something.
- Some customers wish for stretchy pockets.
Best Affordable Diaper Backpack – Under $40
Ruvalino Multifunction Travel Diaper Bag Backpack
This Ruvalino baby diaper organizer backpack is one of the most popular travel diaper bag backpack on Amazon and it comes with a changing pad, two large zipper compartments, and 16 pockets, including a padded laptop pocket. It is spacious enough to hold all of your baby’s essentials and ensures everything stays in order so you don’t need to struggle to find something on the fly. The 2 insulated bottle pockets can hold both tall and wide neck baby bottles so you don’t need to worry about purchasing a specific brand for your backpack.
Designed for convenience, you can also use this backpack as a personal item bag or hang it on your stroller. The backpack is ergonomic with padded shoulder straps to ensure comfort while carrying it. Its practicality with all the pockets, spaciousness, and durability are a few features you can count on when you buy the Ruvalino Diaper Backpack.
- Discreet mommy pocket that’s easily accessible.
- A padded laptop pocket so you don’t need an extra bag.
- Durable, lightweight, waterproof, as well as deform and tear-resistant.
- Available in 9 colors, from pink and blue to gray and camo.
- Some reviewers say the backpack has too much room, but at least you know you can pack everything you need for your baby.
- While attached to a stroller, the bag can be a bit off-center if it is fully packed.
Hafmall Diaper Bag Backpack
Available in 7 colors, the Hafmall Diaper Bag Backpack has some luxury features. It has umbrella and water bottle pockets on the sides, ensuring you are sorted for rainy or dry weather, and two insulated pockets for baby’s bottles in the front zippered pocket. There is a convenient tissue pocket, a dry/wet split pocket for wet clothes or towels, and a zipper at the back so you can easily access your baby’s items that you packed at the bottom without emptying the whole backpack.
Use the Hafmall as a tote, handbag, or backpack, and pack all of your baby’s essentials while you are out exploring new sights. The light-colored lining and wide-open main compartment ensure you can easily see inside and find what you packed, including your keys that can be attached to the keychain inside. There are several elastic-top and zippered pockets in there as well.
When it’s time to carry the bag you have several options. Use the adjustable backpack straps, the dual top grab handles, or the detachable stroller straps to hang it from the stroller via the bag’s D-rings.
The bag is made from water and tear-resistant polyester.
- The wide doctor’s bag-style opening makes visibility and access to its contents easier.
- The backpack straps fit well for both men and women.
- Lots of pockets, including insulated ones.
- Stylish and modern design.
- Some reviewers report that the adjustable straps come a bit loose if the bag is heavily packed.
- Need to unzip the whole of the main compartment for access.
HaloVa Diaper Bag Travel Backpack
The HaloVa Diaper Bag Travel Backpack comes in 11 color options, from blue, black, and gray to orange, brown, plaid, and a light gray with pink handles. Other than that it is almost exactly like the Hafmall bag above.
It offers a large capacity to fit all of your baby’s care products with pockets to help you keep everything organized for easy access. It has 2 insulated pockets for your baby’s bottles, a wet clothes pocket, and a tissue bag on the left side. It’s waterproof and made of oxford fabric, making it durable.
Stylish and durable, this washable backpack diaper bag opens wide, enabling you to smartly organize where and how you pack your baby’s necessities. It ensures everything stays in order. And with a wide range of colors to choose from, you are sure to find a backpack you like while seeing the world with your baby in tow.
- Stroller hooks add to the versatility of the bag that’s both a tote and a backpack.
- Washable so your bag stays clean, always.
- An invisible pocket at the back to keep mom or dad’s phone and wallet safe.
- 2-year warranty.
- Depending on the baby bottle size, the bottle pockets may be too small.
- Not easy to zip the main compartment closed if you have it fully open, especially if you need to do so with one hand while juggling your baby.
Mokaloo Large Multi-functional Travel Back Pack
The Mokaloo Multi-functional Travel Back Pack comes in 4 colors, from dark gray, gray, pink, and purple/blue. It has a total of 13 pockets, including the internal and external ones to keep your baby essentials organized. It is very similar to the Hafmall and HaloVa bags above but with one very nice addition – a USB charging port. You can slip your own power bank into the bag and plug in your device’s cable without opening the bag. This is a handy feature when you’re waiting around in airports and you need to charge your device.
This lightweight backpack is durable and made to be tear and water-resistant. It features non-fray stitching and reinforced shoulder straps and a handle to make it comfortable to carry around.
The padded and S-shaped shoulder straps reduce wear discomfort, and the rectangular shape of the diaper backpack for travel is practical, spacious, and multifunctional. With the “mommy pocket,” spoon/fork pocket, and fixed key ring, the Mokaloo ensures you travel in comfort and style.
- Multifunctional; can be used as a handbag or backpack to better suit your needs.
- Quite a lot of storage capacity.
- Includes a waterproof compartment for wet clothes or towels.
- Has metal buckles and stroller straps.
- Need two hands to close the zips.
- Doesn’t come with a changing pad.
- Some reviewers complained about the zips breaking after a few months of use.
Mancro Diaper Bag Backpack
Lightweight, durable, and waterproof are just three of the features you can expect from the Mancro Backpack. There are also many multifunctional pockets where you can store wipes, baby bottles, clothes, diapers, and more. The backpack also comes in 4 colors: red, black, blue, and gray.
A good choice in a diaper backpack when you travel with your baby, the Mancro is spacious, and you can pack what your baby needs with ease. And better yet, you can access what you need with ease with the ability to unzip the backpack’s main compartment’s opening from top to bottom and grab wet wipes and bottles from the pack’s side and front zippered pockets. A large pocket inside holds a changing pad, which is included. It can instead hold a 15.6 inch laptop if needed.
Carrying the pack is easy using the ergonomic thick padded adjustable shoulder straps or easy-top tote handle. The back of the bag is padded. When you’re sightseeing with a stroller, the included stroller straps really come in handy.
- Heavy-duty metal zippers that can be locked to keep mom and dad’s valuables safe.
- Lightweight design with several carry options.
- Changing pad and stroller straps are included.
- Compartment for a laptop or the changing pad.
- Can be hung from stroller handles.
- Fits best on an umbrella stroller and not one with a single long push bar.
- Not washing machine-safe.
If you’re going to be flying internationally, make sure you pack:
Breast milk or formula with bottles.
Passport and other travel consent documents.
Two changes of clothes.
Pacifiers and teething toys.
Snacks or jarred baby food.
Cooler pack that’s TSA-approved.
Toys and books.
First aid kit.
In addition to your carry-on bag and personal item, you can also bring a diaper bag if you’re traveling with an infant or child (1 per child).
Here are a few luxe and chic diaper backpacks that we’ve spotted celebrities carrying:
The ‘City’ Faux Leather Diaper Backpack by The Honest Company.
The Burberry Watson Nylon Diaper Bag Backpack.
The Caraa Diaper Baby Bag.
Freshly Picked Convertible Diaper Backpack.