The rise in popularity of polycarbonate luggage is primarily because of durability and good looks and also because modern technology has made it lighter than ever. However, many travelers say they prefer them for checked luggage and not for carry ons because they usually don’t offer as much packing flexibility and accessibility as softsided bags. Most don’t come with an exterior pocket for last minute items or things you want mid-flight without having to open up the main compartment.
The Victorinox Spectra 2.0 Dual-Access Carry-On is one less expensive option that tries to eliminate that problem, but this Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid takes it one step further with softsided exterior pockets on a hardsided case. Another clever feature is a stageless extending handle that makes it comfortable for users of any height to wheel and allows any type of small bag to piggyback over it. The main compartment has flex divider panels for neat organization.
Another good high end option for a hybrid is the Ricardo Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive 21″ spinner which is currently priced quite a bit lower.
For a detailed look at this Salsa Hybrid bag, visit Zappos now!
This hybrid cabin bag is part of an entire line called Salsa Deluxe of which many are classic hardsided suitcases of all sizes. There are also carry on business trolleys on 2 or 4 wheels that can piggyback on the IATA cabin bag. Here is a quick link to all of the pieces on Zappos.
Features of the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid IATA Cabin Multiwheel
- Choose from three colors – grey, red or brown.
- The shell is made from impact resistant polycarbonate and the front pockets from nylon and kevlar.
- The dimensions are 15.75″ wide, 7.87″ deep, 21.65″ high, weighing 8 lbs and 8 oz. These dimensions include the wheels and handles and come within the IATA specifications so it can fit into overhead bins of most airlines.
- An inbuilt TSA lock is recessed to lessen the chances of it getting damaged during transit.
- There are two extra comfortable ways to maneuver this bag. The telescopic handle can extend to any height as it’s not restricted to fixed levels. There is a top and side grab handle with ergonomic gel padding.
- The multi-wheel system is patented with eight ball-bearing wheels rotating 360 degrees. These are great for upright rolling or pulling the bag behind you.
- There is a softsided panel of zippered pockets made of nylon and kevlar on the front exterior. The largest is gusseted so as to prevent its contents from falling out when fully unzipped. It can hold a small laptop, magazines or a business folder. On top of this pocket lies two other ones. The larger one at the bottom can fit an iPad, while the smaller one above that is great for your small last minute items like keys, change or your phone.
- Just above the exterior pockets is an Add-a-bag holder for bags that don’t have a sleeve or strap that goes over a telescopic handle.
- The main compartment opens book-style and is roomy enough for a 3-5 day trip. Each side features a flex divider panel that separates, compresses and holds your clothes tightly in place to minimize wrinkles and maximize packing space. Each panel also has two zippered mesh pockets for things like undergarments and accessories.
- This carry on bag is very light and easy to maneuver.
- The patented wheels roll silently over smooth floors while adding the flexibility of dragging at an incline as well.
- Has plenty of packing space due to the compression divider panels. The panels also prevent anything from moving about or spilling out when the case is open.
- You can pack items needed inflight in the outer pockets so that you don’t have to open the main compartment.
- Long lasting and can handle rough treatment even if checked in.
- Sleek looks.
- The book style opening means you have to pack both sides so using a baggage rack while unpacking is inconvenient.
Take a look at the latest reviews or check the current price of the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid IATA Cabin Multiwheel on Zappos now!