I’m always interested in hybrid bags and carryalls that work for more than one kind of trip. Speeding through security checkpoints is important too but not always possible if you or your fellow travelers have to unload several gadgets and place them in those trays. Since I can’t do without at least a few of my electronics, having a carryall with a TSA-friendly compartment is very useful. The ECBC Pegasus Convertible Wheeled Backpack definitely caught my eye.
The company is relatively new and they specialize in carry on bags of various kinds that feature the TSA-friendly organizer compartment that opens fully with the flap lying flat when placed on the security conveyor belt. The Pegasus is also cool because you can use it as a backpack or as a rolling bag, depending on where you are at a given moment. Construction and design are also strong and so far, reviews have been positive. You also get a portable battery pack included – useful if you’re prone to draining your gadget batteries. For more checkpoint-friendly laptop bags that we’ve reviewed, click here.
This bag does not come cheap but it is packed with several design details and is well made. So let’s take a closer look at this bag to see if it’s the one for you. Or go straight to Amazon to shop for it!
Features of the Pegasus Convertible Wheeled Backpack
- The bag’s outer shell is made of Kodra Nylon, which is nearly indestructible and water resistant, and the inner lining is made of Ripstop Nylon.
- Colors available are black, blue, green, linen and berry.
- It measures 22″ by 14″ by 10″ and weighs 9 pounds.
- It easily converts from a rolling carry on to a backpack and then back again. To use as a rolling bag, you extend the double pole telescopic handle from its own zippered compartment that’s built into the back. It locks into place and then you can pull it along with you on the two inline wheels.
If you want to change to the backpack version, just slide the handle back down and zip it up. Then unzip another compartment in the back to unveil two nicely padded backpack straps with sternum straps to make carrying the pack more comfortable. Each backpack strap clips to bottom D-rings on either side at the back via caribiner clips. When not in use, the straps unclip and stow back in and securely out of the way.
- Two padded grip handles – one on the side and one on top, make it easy to lift the bag to the overhead bin or on to the security conveyor belt.
- All zippers are YKK.
- A back plate between the two wheels protect the bottom of the bag from damage when wheeling it over a curb or uneven ground.
- A side vertical gusseted pocket is perfect for a water bottle.
- A hidden ID Tag can be found right above the side pocket. It be pulled out and then it snaps back into place when let go.
- A top zippered pocket is designed for easy access to a phone or your tickets and passport.
- Your gadgets can be securely stored in the front organizer compartment. Its flap unzips to lie completely flat on the conveyor belt for screening. This FastPass organizer on one side has a padded and Velcro-secured laptop compartment for 15″ laptops, although some customers say that even certain 17″ units can fit in there.
The other side of the organizer has various pockets, mesh or opaque – one for your tablet or e-reader with a velcro tab, one for a smartphone or power bank, and two for various things, like earphones, USB cords, etc. when going through security, you don’t have to remove all your electronics and place them in the tray, as the FastPass system is TSA-approved. Both the laptop and tablet compartments come with removable modular inserts so even smaller gadgets can have a snug and secure fit.
- The bag comes with a portable power bank so you’ll never have a dead cell phone battery, even if you are no where near a power outlet. If you store the power bank in the organizer compartment and your phone in the easy access compartment just above that, a cable port allows the charging cable to run through so you don’t even have to take out your tablet or phone to charge it.
- Behind the organizer compartment is another zipped pocket. This one is perfect for your laptop charger, a hard disk, keys, etc. There are mesh slip pockets in there for additional organization.
- The main compartment is similar to those of other rolling bags. There are two zippered mesh pockets inside the top lid for toiletries or undergarments. The other side is deep and has restraining straps for keeping your clothes in order.