While most Timbuk2 customers are pretty loyal, they are also a vocal bunch. Through years of in depth feedback, they’ve influenced the brand’s designers to come up with new and improved features to include in their most popular messenger bag, the Classic. Now the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag 2014 has better organization, a more comfortable way to carry it, and is sleeker looking – something that many women felt was lacking in the original.
This all-purpose messenger bag can be used to bike to work, as it features an in-built laptop or tablet pocket, and is also great as a personal item bag on planes or as your go to bag for day trips or city sightseeing. You can choose the size that best fits your needs, and in a color and design that that works for you. To top it all off, you might get drench in a downpour, but the weatherproofing elements of this bag will keep its contents completely dry!
So, what are all the improvements and new features that you can expect to have? Let’s take a look.
Features of the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag 2014
- This messenger bag is available in a total of 11 colors, but some are available in only certain sizes.
- This bag comes in four different sizes. The extra small one has a 9 liter capacity, weighs 1 lb and can hold an iPad in the interior slash pocket. The small one has a 14 liter capacity, weighs 1.5 lbs and can hold a small notebook like a 13″ Macbook. The medium weighs 2 lbs with a 21 liter capacity and can hold a 15.6″ laptop. The large bag also weighs 2 lbs, but hold 28 liters and can carry a larger laptop. The top of the bag is wider than the bottom, as the sides taper downwards.
- The materials used are CORDURA nylon and weathered canvas. This nylon was first used 25 years ago to be later replaced by ballistic nylon, but since CORDURA is much lighter but just as durable, it has made a comeback. This is what makes even the largest bag so light.
- The inside is lined with waterproof TPU fabric and the top corners of the main compartment underneath the top flap feature two ear flaps that you tuck in before closing the flap. This design prevents water from getting in via those corners.
- The bag’s flap has the two main SR buckles on the inside so they’re hidden from view on the outside but still keeps the bag securely locked. This makes the overall look more sophisticated. The inside of the flap also has a horizontal Velcro panel on the top to attach to the front bottom of the bag for additional security.
- The adjustable shoulder strap features a new CAM buckle tightening system that makes it easy for you to just tug and tighten the strap to keep the bag from moving around while you’re on the move. The system also prevents your clothing from bunching up and there are no dangling straps. To lengthen the strap to remove the bag, you just pull the buckle in the other direction. A removable cross strap is also provided for added stability.
- A padded airmesh panel is permanently attached to the shoulder strap to allow you to carry the bag comfortably.
- Right under the flap are three integrated organizer pockets. A horizontal zippered one with an attached key fob inside, a drop pocket behind that, and a Napolean style vertical zippered pocket behind that. The design of the third pocket makes it possible to access your phone or anything else from there without having to open the bag’s flap first.
- The main compartment inside has several organizer pockets that are evenly distributed to keep all your items separate and tidy while keeping the weight well balanced. A lightly padded slash pocket on the interior back wall can hold anything from a book to an iPad to a laptop, depending on what size bag you choose. The front inside wall has a simplified organizer section. This makes the bag less puffy than the old one.
- Two interior side elastic pockets are perfect for holding a water bottle or charger.
- The buckle flap closures near the bottom of the bag also feature compression straps on the small, medium and large bags, so when your bag is not completely full, you can cinch them to reduce its size. These straps can also be used to cinch a yoga mat or jacket to the bottom if needed.
- The back of the bag features a low profile grab handle at the top.
- A front loop is good for attaching a blinky light.
- Not too casual looking and can be used for more than just biking. It has a more structured and sleek look as compared to the old Classic bag.
- Very lightweight and easy to carry even a heavy load, as the cushioned shoulder strap is well designed for comfort.
- Very easy to wear and take off because of the improved buckle system and the shoulder strap length is good too.
- The interior slash pocket has only thin padding and there is no Velcro or strap to secure your gadget.
- There is no open back pocket.
- The water bottle pocket is too small for a standard Nalgene but a Camelbak will fit.
- While the small bag can hold a small laptop easily, you won;t be able to add much else on top of that, so if you need this bag to carry a laptop and a few extra things, get the medium sized bag instead.
The verdict is that these improvements are very good, making this updated bag a good buy. If you’d like to see more options, we have a short list of our other top picks for women’s laptop messenger bags.
Want the latest customer reviews of the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag 2014? Take a look at them on Amazon!