While duffels are anyway lighter than traditional suitcases, their design is not so great for organization. Most don’t have suitable external or internal pockets and even the largest sizes can come with one big cavernous internal compartment. If you like having your things neat and tidy, it can be very annoying when you need to find items among a jumble of clothes.
To avoid these problems, you should consider this multi-compartment lightweight 34″ wheeled duffel by High Sierra. The drop bottom creates a complete separate compartment for packing, while pockets on the exterior are useful for a variety of things. The lightweight construction will give you plenty of leeway for packing enough stuff for a long trip.
Note: Many airlines have a 50 lb or less weight limit for checked luggage in economy class.
We have reviewed 4 other top rated drop bottom duffel bags on wheels. They are all a bit shorter in height than the Evolution but are just as highly rated by consumers!
Want to see exactly what you get with with this extra large duffel? Read on!
Features of the High Sierra Evolution 34-Inch Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel
- This X-large duffel bag measures 34″ x 17.5″ x 15.5″ and weighs just 8 lb 9 oz.
- The material is a lightweight nylon/polyester blend of Mini Diamond Ripstop and Mini Weave Duralite, which is especially to prevent rips and tears. A high density foam structure throughout the body helps it keep its shaped instead of collapsing when not completely full.
- You can get this bag in one of two two-toned colors – Amazon Green and Lava Red. The overall look is sporty.
- The duffel features a full length drop bottom compartment where you can keep things like shoes separate from the rest of your stuff. This bottom compartment includes two tie down straps to keep everything in place. It is separated from the main top compartment by a zippered divider panel which can be rolled up if you prefer one large compartment. This makes organization very similar to a suitcase.
- The drop bottom compartment opens via a full double zip around closure, while the top compartment opens via a double zippered U-shaped closure on top.
- One front pocket and two side pockets, all double zippered and on the exterior, are perfect for storing smaller items. The front pocket also hides a custom ID pocket.
- There’s a recessed telescopic handle that locks in place and two rolling wheels on the bottom.
- There are two strong duffel-style webbing handles with wrapping and one padded grab handle on the top end.
- Two metal feet at the bottom keeps the bag off the ground to prevent it from getting it dirty when set down.
- There are two external adjustable compression straps that help in keeping the softsided duffel compact and secure.
- All the compartments and pockets feature lockable double zipper pulls.
- It comes with a 5 year limited warranty.
- Great for travelers who carry a lot or go on long trips but have to stay under tight weight restrictions.
- The telescopic handle and wheels are sturdy.
- Enough organizational features in the form of divided main compartments and external pockets.
- Even though it is a large bag, it is kept relatively lightweight with the soft and flexible walls, unlike traditional laptop bags and briefcases.
- Excellent value for money.
- In order to keep this bag light, there is not much structure to it except for the rigid bottom and high density foam in the walls and top.
- There are no pockets on the interior, so contents of the bag may shift around a bit unless tightly packed. Or you can use packing cubes instead.
- There is no grab handle on the bottom of the bag.
- The zipper pulls are not made of metal.
- The size of this duffel means that you cannot stand it upright on its own.
Want to read customer reviews for this duffel? You can do that and check for the current price of the High Sierra Evolution 34-Inch Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel on Amazon now!